OK, this week has been a roller-coaster...
I have successfully made it through one Transfer, boom.
I was sitting in a hammock eating some tortillas, and all of a sudden, thought to myself, all of my friends are doing something similar to this right now. They are either on a mission in a place far away from home, or they are at college with a ton of classes. Bottom line is that most the people I know right now are going through some really big changes, and wow. We are growing up. I hope.
Anyway, District meeting was on Tuesday, my comp took 2 showers, (because the water was finally back on), so we were really late. Entonces (then), after we got back from Ceiba, we went on splits. I went with Elder M. and my comp went with Elder J. Elder M. speaks really clearly and slowly, so I was able to understand most of our lessons, which was nice because I was able to follow, and then contribute.
That night was Hermana Martha’s birthday. Everyone here somehow knows Happy Birthday in English (pronounced completely wrong) but that was kinda funny. She gave a speech, and blew out a match that was stuck in a cupcake, and then we played pin the tail on the donkey. However, whoever lost had to eat extra baleadas/tortillas (we had already eaten). I gave her an English CTR ring I had, and she loved it. Oh I almost forgot! I got a letter from Grandma when we were in Ceiba!! Super, super helpful.
I have successfully made it through one Transfer, boom.
I was sitting in a hammock eating some tortillas, and all of a sudden, thought to myself, all of my friends are doing something similar to this right now. They are either on a mission in a place far away from home, or they are at college with a ton of classes. Bottom line is that most the people I know right now are going through some really big changes, and wow. We are growing up. I hope.
Anyway, District meeting was on Tuesday, my comp took 2 showers, (because the water was finally back on), so we were really late. Entonces (then), after we got back from Ceiba, we went on splits. I went with Elder M. and my comp went with Elder J. Elder M. speaks really clearly and slowly, so I was able to understand most of our lessons, which was nice because I was able to follow, and then contribute.
That night was Hermana Martha’s birthday. Everyone here somehow knows Happy Birthday in English (pronounced completely wrong) but that was kinda funny. She gave a speech, and blew out a match that was stuck in a cupcake, and then we played pin the tail on the donkey. However, whoever lost had to eat extra baleadas/tortillas (we had already eaten). I gave her an English CTR ring I had, and she loved it. Oh I almost forgot! I got a letter from Grandma when we were in Ceiba!! Super, super helpful.
![]() |
| Picture from the Mission President's Wife website |
Reunion de 12 semanas (weeks) was on the 23rd. This was also in Ceiba (with Pres. Klein and Hermana Klein). We were like 45 minutes late because the bus broke down again, and it’s an hour and a half ride to Ceiba. Anyway, I felt like a goon rolling up late, especially when Pres. K came up and shook my hand. Don’t worry mom, I explained to him. But that’s where the picture from Hermana K’s blog was from. The Elder was reciting the first vision, but he is a native speaker, so it was a breeze for him. Anyway, for lunch they gave us PIZZA! I almost forgot what food other than rice beans and Tortillas tasted like. Wow that was awesome. I did see Elder Tobler, Elder Beeston, Elder Hansen, and Elder Patterson there so that was really cool to see the boys again. They are all doing really well. We are all freaking out, because we are in Honduras, but all was well.
Oh, the kids throw fireworks at you here. Some Catracho (Honduran) threw one at me, but I guess he didn’t light it, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Temptation... I threw it away after much contemplation. That was hard. (Note: we found a cache of fireworks in Elder Smart’s room after he left for the MTC).
The 24th was Missionary Correlation, so we went to Confité (an hour by bus). We stayed overnight there, and left at 5 in the morning to baptize three new members in the river that runs through Masica, but then it started to rain, and it didn’t stop for two days. Elder J y Elder M’s house was flooded, and the power went out, so we had to stay indoors all day because there was water up to our knees in the street and it was dark by 4 pm. We did, however, have some candles, so that was nice. We played UNO for like 2 hours because we couldn’t do anything else. While I was studying by candle light, I came across the scripture Alma 26:12, and 27. This is a new pump up scripture for me.
Oh, the kids throw fireworks at you here. Some Catracho (Honduran) threw one at me, but I guess he didn’t light it, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Temptation... I threw it away after much contemplation. That was hard. (Note: we found a cache of fireworks in Elder Smart’s room after he left for the MTC).
The 24th was Missionary Correlation, so we went to Confité (an hour by bus). We stayed overnight there, and left at 5 in the morning to baptize three new members in the river that runs through Masica, but then it started to rain, and it didn’t stop for two days. Elder J y Elder M’s house was flooded, and the power went out, so we had to stay indoors all day because there was water up to our knees in the street and it was dark by 4 pm. We did, however, have some candles, so that was nice. We played UNO for like 2 hours because we couldn’t do anything else. While I was studying by candle light, I came across the scripture Alma 26:12, and 27. This is a new pump up scripture for me.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
During sacrament meeting this week, in our lean-to, some pollos/chickens (that were trying to break the law of chastity) flew INTO the congregation, and landed on a member. That was nice. Oh, later that day, we were getting Coconuts from a tree, and one fell and hit my comp Elder V. on the shoulder. It scraped the side of his face, and bruised his shoulder. A couple of inches over... and it would have been his head. Dios is up their watching over us.
We had Rico for lunch. I can’t describe it. Just look it up... Raro. (Note: despite many Google searches, we could not identify what food Andy is talking about.)
Oh, I have heat rash on my ankles, so I shaved them. Just my ankles, though (lol).
Just today, comp screamed like a niño when a frog hopped into his shower. And then right after there was a mouse in his luggage, and a gecko on his garments. I had to take care of all these ''diablos'' (devils) as he described them.
That’s been my week. If you can, please take a moment to pray for missionaries and their investigators. It means the world.
Con Amor
Elder Smart
Quick answers to some of the questions we've asked:
Elder Smart
Quick answers to some of the questions we've asked:
- Yes we have working toilets, but the water is not on all the time
- We have an indoor shower, but again, the water is unreliable, and then I bath in a deep concrete basin outside
- We do not ride bikes, because they'd be stolen... like in 5 seconds
- My bed is good, but collects a lot of dead bugs
- We go to Ceiba weekly for food, district meetings and money
- I am progressing with the language, but I can only say the basic stuff (like a 4 yr-old child). I have had a few situations where I have understand "everything", it's really weird when that happens.
- Our church meets under that awning... the local school teacher owns the casa it's connected to, and lets us use the space under the awning
- The people who feed us horse, were very poor and had to kill their horse for food

No comments:
Post a Comment