First
off...
I
make a ton of pancakes every morning, and then get fed rice, beans, tons of
tortillas, platanos, eggs and meat (in excess) for lunch and dinner. So I am getting
fed well for all of those wondering.
Anyway,
Honduras played U.S.A in soccer on the 14th. They tied which blew my
mind. How does that happen? I actually got to watch half an hour of it at a
member’s hut, which was really cool. So that was satisfying. I wrote down 2nd
Nephi 3:13 for some reason in my journal, and now I can’t remember why. It’s
good though...
13 And
out of weakness he shall be made strong, in that day when my work shall
commence among all my people, unto the restoring thee, O house of Israel, saith
the Lord.
My
companion has been really sick lately, so he asked for a blessing. I gave him
one (in English) and it was actually exactly what I needed. It was weird; the
blessing was for him, but it I feel like it helped me more than it helped him.
On
the 15th we taught our weekly English lesson. These always go pretty
poorly because not one person here can pronounce English words. It is quite a
challenge trying to teach your native language, in a language you don’t really
know.
Another
scripture, 2nd Nephi 7:7 really helped me, as I found it in personal
study (God will help me).
7 For
the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have
I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
The
Hermana (sister) that cooks for us had kind of a tough week. Her son was with a
"friend" and he thought it would be funny to pressure him into
drinking really concentrated alcohol (that he had also drugged with something),
so in the middle of lunch, the father comes in, literally dragging his son in.
He is completely passed out, and is throwing up in his sleeplike state. Our Hermana
was sobbing for hours. It’s important that we remember that we represent our
family in everything we do. Everything you do reflects your family. Please pray
for our Hermana and her son, he will be okay, but his friend I hope, will
realize the severity of his actions.
| Waiting for some computer time |
On
the 17th, not much happened other than I juggled oranges for some
kids for like 30 minutes because they have never seen that before. Oh, the
other thing. People ask to see some of the pictures I have from home, but I really
don’t like showing them. It shames me to show pictures of me in a suit I rented
(for prom), and what not, while the people here rarely have more than one shirt
to wear. People here get married in whatever they are wearing that day. It
breaks my heart to see pictures of people on their wedding day, and they’re not
even wearing shoes. It really makes me appreciate what I had, even though in
the past I thought I had so little. When in actuality, I had infinitely more
than I ever realized. It really hurts me inside. But the worst part is, I can’t
sympathize with them, or tell them that I love them because my Spanish is so
horrible.
Anyway...
Three more scriptures: 2nd Nephi
8:25, 2nd Nephi 9:4, and 2nd Nephi 9:10. These scriptures
help me remember why I’m out here in a jungle.
25 Shake
thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of
Zion.
4 For
I know that ye have searched much, many of you, to know of things to come;
wherefore I know that ye know that our flesh must
waste away and die; nevertheless, in our bodies we shall see God.
10 O
how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for
our escape from the grasp of this awful monster;
yea, that monster, death and hell,
which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit.
On
the 18th, we couldn’t find anyone we had previously contacted. So we decided to
find some new people. The first hut we went to, a lady was washing clothes
outside, and she said we could talk to her. She was really nice, amiable, and
seemed to be really interested. so we talked to her for about 15-20 minutes,
and were silently thanking God for blessing us with a new potential
investigator, when all of a sudden, her husband called her in to the house for
a minute, and then started closing all the windows and doors. Meanwhile, my
comp and I were still sitting outside, still holding the pamphlet we were about
to give her. We waited for about 10, then she cracked open the door, and
apologized because her husband hates the Mormons, is a devoted Catholic, and
has a problem with the missionaries. Then she shut the door. Pues (then), we
left feeling pretty low. It was the first time someone had been so abrupt with
us. I should probably get used to that.
We
had mutual that night, and played soccer. The missionary team dominated, just
saying. (God’s team) can’t beat it.
I
learned on Sunday, that I will be staying in the area Elder V and I opened (La
Masica 3) for another change (transfer). Elder R. and Elder J. are both leaving,
which really puts me down, because they are the only ones in Masica that speak
any English. I will be totally alone. They have helped me with my challenges
from Spanish, to simply life here. They have become really good friends to me.
They will be in my prayers.
Patience
is a virtue.
| The LDS church in Masica |
Oh
this is our church... I love it.
And from our house (it’s always raining).
Love
You all.
Con
Amor,
Elder
Smart
No comments:
Post a Comment