Mailing Address for Elder Smart

Elder Andrew Jefferson Smart
Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission
12 Calle, Avenida Circunvalacion, S.O.
Edif. Yude Canahuati, 3 Nivel, Oficina 4
San Pedro Sula, Cortes
Honduras, C. A.

Monday, October 6, 2014

My primero semana en La Masica, Honduras...

Last day in Mexico

Hello all, I don’t even know where to begin. 
This week has probably been the hardest week I've had to endure, ever.  La Masica is the poorest town in Honduras, it’s not even a town, it’s a pueblo. The people here live in sticks, and huts made out of steel.  Most of them are always half naked, and don’t wear shoes.  There are two groups of people that live here. The less than dirt poor, and the drug dealers who are dirt poor.  Over the past week:  I’ve sweat so much you can see through my shirt. I’ve been chased by dogs, bitten by hundreds of mosquitos and ants, in and out of my house.  I’ve split wood for 2 hours for a family.  I’ve pushed a bus we were taking for half a mile because it stopped working.  I’ve had the most insane diarrhea you can’t even imagine. I’ve heard gunshots in the distance, and right outside my own casa.  I am constantly being yelled at "Hey you! Gringo!"  Everyday.  I’ve tried to teach lessons with mothers nursing their children for the world to see.  I’ve caught tarantulas and Geckos by the dozen. I've had a drunk guy sing to me about how he loves young women.  And I’ve cut grass with a machete. 
Oh, and I got a haircut. That was good.

Through all this, the hardest thing has been the language. Here they don’t speak very correctly. It’s the equivalent of hick talk-- improper and inaccurate. I can’t understand anything that anyone says. It is like a different language to me. We teach lessons all the time and I don’t understand what’s going on. My companion is pretty nice though. Even though he has a weird Ecuadorian accent and says stuff I don’t understand. He is 6 foot 3 or 4, and towers over me. I feel so alone. I can’t express anything I am feeling, positive or negative.
I have never been so close to breaking down and giving up in my whole life.

Throughout all this bad and negativity, I do think the good outweighs the bad. First of all, Conference. There was an English room! We had to take a bus to La Ceiba (the one that broke down) and then when we rolled up to the church, we saw the Mission President standing there on the front lawn with sheep grazing all around him. This was the first of the good. We then went in and... Air conditioning! And then... Elder Beeston, Patterson, and a bunch of other guys I know. Conference was amazing! I loved it! English! Anyway, I’m running out of time here. We stayed in the Zone Leader’s house in Ceiba. I got to sleep in a hammock!  Like old times, man.  The next day was my favorite. My new favorite apostle gave my favorite talk also. (Elder Bednar- link to his talk). https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2014/10?lang=eng&vid=3822608486001&cid=10

A few more things... We make and eat pancakes every morning. Then for Lunch and Dinner every day, we eat at this church member’s house.  She cooks Beans, rice, amazing tortillas, meat, and platanos (plantains) for every meal.  Carb load, bro. 

Mom, I have a pic with Elder Dunford and I met Lauren Criddle’s brother here! He was at the stake center in Ceiba. (Lauren goes to Brighton HS) He was way stoked, she had told him about me. We got a picture with a Jesus painting.
I saw the ocean! In Ceiba.

I know that I am really struggling here, but the Lord sends the feeble and weak to thrash the nations with the word of God.  Pray for me and for all the otro (other) missionaries out and about that probably need more help than me.  I know this church is true, and I know that I am here in Honduras for the people. They are so humble, and they have less than nothing.  Hopefully I can give them something more worthwhile than earthly possessions, The True and Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Siempre Amor de me corazon
USU til death!
Elder Smart
La Ceiba 

The district (MTC)

The nose knows

No comments:

Post a Comment