Mailing Address for Elder Smart

Elder Andrew Jefferson Smart
Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission
12 Calle, Avenida Circunvalacion, S.O.
Edif. Yude Canahuati, 3 Nivel, Oficina 4
San Pedro Sula, Cortes
Honduras, C. A.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Stand in Holy Places

Hello.
This week has been a blast and a half.

It rained...

We had district meeting (just us 4 here in La Masica) but it was really good. We are currently studying chapter 5 in Preach My Gospel, and it is really amazing. I encourage all of you to read about it. It helps me understand why its so important to explain to people why our church is different (Book Of Mormon).

So this week we have been really working hard on contacting all the people from the zone super contacto that we directed here in La Masica. Let me just tell you, Its exactly what we needed. It's amazing to see how many people we dont know in this little pueblo. Amazing.
Anyway, we didn't have mutual this week, because it rained...again. for like the 400th time this week and I was a little sick this week. Im not sure what it was from, but I think that it might be since we get up at like 5 in the morning to go to the gym and work out, and I dont get much sleep. 

However, on Sunday, no one who had a talk showed up, so we each had to prepare a talk in like 5 minutes to give. It was way weird, because I blessed the sacrament, and directed the hymns too. So I literally led the music, immediately sat down, blessed the sacrament, then after sacrament, stood up, led the music, put my hymnbook down, gave my talk, picked up my hymnbook, etc... But it wasn't half bad, since it was raining, there were only like 28 people at church, so it wasn't as awkward as it would have been. 

Oh ya, I had to gave my backpack to a member, so I bought a new one for like 73 limpiras, which is literally the price of a burger at McDonalds. Its a fake Jansport (joy sport) which is pretty awesome, so theres that. 

Sunday, we contacted all day. All day. And all day, Nothing. Every reference, Every house, nothing. Well, we were about to go to dinner, when we decided to make one last call. We called this particular gentleman who seemed really interested. We weren't sure though, because it was a reference from the hermanas (sisters). We weren't sure if he was interested in our message, or just talking to the girls again.

Anyway, we called him, and the first thing he said was that he had prayed earlier that day for the missionaries to contact him again!! Wow, so we said we were free then and he invited us over. We had one of the best lessons ever. He is literally asking the golden questions. About Joseph Smith, The book of mormon, the plan of salvation, and inspiration. It was awesome. He also gave us food (pastelitos)-cupcakes.  And Elder G says that when an investigator gives you food on the first visit, he or she gets baptized... Pretty funny, but I really hope this guy holds firm to his questions and really tries to find and answers because, WE got the answers.

To make things even cooler, I read Alma 26:27 right before I went to bed that night, which just tied everything up perfectly. 
27- Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. 
We need to have an open heart to those we serve. It's not about the numbers. People are not numbers. It's about the people you teach, not the lessons. And God promises success if you go about your work this way.

Love you all
Con Amor+
Elder Smart

Doing laundry, Central American Style
We all have work


No comments:

Post a Comment