Mailing Address for Elder Smart

Elder Andrew Jefferson Smart
Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission
12 Calle, Avenida Circunvalacion, S.O.
Edif. Yude Canahuati, 3 Nivel, Oficina 4
San Pedro Sula, Cortes
Honduras, C. A.

Monday, September 29, 2014

ultimos dia, ultimos minute

So I leave for Honduras tomorrow at 2:30 in the morning... I get to email today because it’s my last day in the CCM.

I´m in a different world right now.
Yesterday was one of the most spiritual days of my life.  It was fast and testimony meeting, where my whole district (15A) bore our testimonies in Spanish.  I finally realized how far each of us has truly come, from when we first met.  The testimonies gained, hardships endured together, the happy times shared.  I love my districto, and am so grateful for the progress we have made.
Yesterday, we also had the opportunity to hear a devotional given on Christmas day by David A. Bednar.  It was titled "The Character of Christ".  I hope it is available to you all.  It is the most powerful talk I have ever heard, and is now my favorite also.
"The Character of Christ" video
"The Character of Christ" text
He talks about how Christ is the perfect example of "turning out", as opposed to "turning in" (the natural man).   He goes on to explain that if you look to yourself, you will never find it.  You need to follow the example of Christ and become completely selfless, forget yourself in the work, and find humility in order to truly find yourself.
This was a huge reality check for me, as I am about to get out into the field and preach the true doctrine of Christ to real people.  Elder Larsen and I fasted for an extra meal this week to find comfort in what we are about to do, and that we would be able to receive an answer to what we need to do “now”.  I know that Elder Bednars devotional was an answer to our prayers.
After the devotional, we watched "Joseph Smith Prophet of the Restoration".  This is an amazing movie about the life of Joseph Smith and all he, his family, and the members lost and sacrificed for the church.  It reminded me of the first time I saw it.  My family and I went to Nauvoo, and while we were there, we took a tour of some of the church sites, and one activity was watching this movie, as it was new.  I remember I had just finished reading the Book of Mormon, cover to cover for the first time.  Afterwards, I was thinking to myself that no mere man could have translated this book alone. It was a testament to me that through the power and authority of Dios, all things are possible.
As I am about to journey into a jungle for two years, I know that if I keep the faith, and endure to the end, I will be able to see the hand of God in my life, and in the lives of those I serve.
I know I need to strive to “turn out”, as Christ, our redeemer, did.  I know that the day will come where all people will hear the word of the gospel of Jesus Christ in their own tongues.  I know this is why I am speaking Spanish.  To bring the gospel to all those humble souls in Honduras that are prepared for me. I know that I am just a body for the Holy Ghost to speak through, because The Holy Spirit is the real teacher for all.
I love this gospel and ask for you to pray for those in Honduras that are in the most need.  Pray for their hearts to be softened and opened unto the Lord.

Todas día, Cada día.
Siempre con amor,
Elder Andrew Jefferson Smart
Elders Larsen, Young and Smart

No comments:

Post a Comment